My Journey From the Goop

I always knew I wanted to be an aesthetician, before I ever even knew there was such a thing. As a child I loved lotions and potions, loved to bathe in them and slather them on myself. I loved the feeling of comfort and the touch of my own hands upon my skin. Before long, I was making my own concoctions in my mother's kitchen out of stuff in the refrigerator and plants I found in the yard, trying them out on my friends, brothers, boyfriends, whoever didn't run fast enough when they saw me coming with a bowl full of goop. A lot of trial and error, a lot of plugging up the drain with bits of stuff and a lot of joy as I was beginning to follow my path without even realizing I was stepping one foot in front of the other.

And then the acne came. And I don't mean a few pimples here or there, but a case of severe full-blown cystic acne right as I began to open my petals to womanhood. My mother took me to several dermatologists, but nothing seemed to work - tetracycline, topical erythromycin, benzoyl peroxide, birth control pills - NOTHING. It just seemed to get worse, despite all of the doctor's efforts. While my mother tried to help, my father only expressed disappointment in my appearance - I was too fat, had unruly hair and now this. I felt like a freak with the marks to prove it all over my face. During this time, my parents were also going through an ugly divorce, something that I realized much later was affecting me more than I even realized.

My parents finally divorced, my father moved out of the house and my mother, brothers and I began to settle into a pretty normal life. I was blessed with a group of wonderful friends, a serious boyfriend and I began to enjoy my teenage experience. The acne went away. My senior year of high school, my father passed away suddenly from a heart attack. My boyfriend dumped me. The acne came back. This time so bad, that even two courses of Accutane could not control it. The acne continued until, at 19, I met a wonderful man who is now my husband.

So what is my point with all of this rambling about my teen angst? The point is that I feel the state of your skin truly reflects the state of your environment, your emotions and your energetic body. In my case, the toxic nature of my parent's relationship and my relationship with my father was being expressed outwardly on my skin. When that environment, steeped in negative energy, was changed, my skin changed. When my father died, the emotions surrounding our relationship and the dysfunctionality of our life as a family were again being purged through my skin. When I met my husband and began to heal my heart, my skin began to reflect that. I began to see a more holistic connection that what was going on in my life was being manifested in a physical way.

This whole experience described above was what led me to want to help other people with their skin, but in a somewhat non-traditional way. It is so easy to take a pill, to slap on a cream or to peel your face off with a chemical - and you may get results from that - but, it is also important to take a look at the bigger picture. Your skin is the largest organ in your body, which gives a lot of oppurtunity for issues to be reflected there. What you put in, near, on or around your body (products, people, energy, etc.) can affect it, both positively and negatively.

So my journey started with goop in a bowl and here I am now with 8 years experience as a licensed aesthetician (and several more as an amateur!) writing this blog. I hope to be able to share my thoughts, experiences and what I have learned and I hope to learn from you, too! Many blessings to you as we share this journey together!

No comments:

Post a Comment