VaJayJay Talk (Part I): Trimming the Bush


In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I will be doing a three part post called "VaJayJay Talk." While the subject of discussing one's "hair down there" may make some squeamish, for me, it's like talking about what kind of toothpaste you use or your favorite movie. Bikini line maintenance is part of my job and I have been waxing client's body hair for over 10 years.

While a nicely groomed bikini area can be an exciting surprise for a partner on Valentine's Day, I think that keeping yourself tidy year-round is a great way to boost your own self esteem and celebrate your own femininity. Girl power!

If you are new to bikini grooming, the easiest and least expensive way to start is with a regular old disposable razor. Be sure it is brand new and of a good quality or else you risk razor burn. I find the razors with a triple blade do a nice job. While it is tempting to use soap and water to shave with, you will get a much smoother and irritation-free shave if you use a product created especially for shaving. One of my favorites is the Moisture Shave line from Kiss My Face. While they have many yummy fragrances available, I prefer the Fragrance Free since it is best for sensitive skin and lessening irritation.

It is best to shave your bikini line a few minutes after getting into the shower or bath. Moisten the area and apply the shaving product. allow it to sit for a few minutes to soften the hairs and surrounding skin. Using short, smooth strokes, gently shave the hair, being sure to rinse the razor frequently with warm water. If necessary, you can reapply the shaving product, but try not to shave twice in the same area. After shaving, rinse the area with cool water and gently pat dry (be sure not to rub as this can cause immediate razor burn). If you are prone to razor irritation, a great product to try is Tend Skin. While it is not a natural product, it is the best that I have found for quickly resolving irritation from shaving and ingrown hairs. If your hair is on the longer side, it helps to trim it to a shorter length first before shaving to get a nice clean shave. To easily maintain your shave regularly, it is also helpful to have a bikini shaving tool.

If you are just not down with the razor, then waxing might be the thing for you. Once I started waxing my bikini line, I vowed never to go back to shaving. Waxing gives longer results, and I believe, much less irritation that shaving. The only drawbacks are that it is uncomfortable for some (mostly because you are ripping your hair out from the root!) and it does make you more prone to ingrown hairs. However, the pain is short-lived and exfoliating with textured body washing gloves regularly in the shower after a wax can keep ingrown hairs at bay.

If you decide to wax, it is best to see a licensed esthetician to do it for you because there are many areas you just can't get to yourself (although I gave myself a complete Brazilian wax while 9 months pregnant with my first daughter! I was determined to be groomed while giving birth!) . While there are several at-home bikini waxing kits, I have found the quality of the wax to be poor, which can lead to not only irritation later, but problems with the wax not working properly during the treatment (not pulling out hair effectively, getting stuck on skin, etc.). Find a therapist that uses quality professional wax, like Cirepil (in my opinion, one of the best waxes in the world). Also ensure that the therapist is using clean, sanitary practices such as single use disposable applicators, disposable gloves and a skin cleanser/disinfectant before and after the service. Ask around for references for a good therapist before having this delicate procedure!

The question always comes up - How much should I shave or wax off? My answer is always: It is totally up to you. If you are new to this, maybe just try a bit off "the sides and top" to start and see how it goes. If you are ready to strip the whole thing - go for it! As we have seen throughout the decades, the popularity of pubic hair has waxed and waned (no pun intended). Follow whatever shape or amount of hair you are comfy with and, most importantly, have fun!!! Sport a classic triangle. Or how about a landing strip? Shape it into a heart or a butterfly using a bikini stencil. Color it purple (more on that in my next post!). Or...ya know what? If you want to go au natural and rock it 70s style - more power to ya!!!

Until next VaJayJay Talk...

No comments:

Post a Comment