I Tried It: 3rd Rock Sunblock


I was recently made aware of a new sunscreen called 3rd Rock Sunblock, an all-natural, earth friendly sunblock that has yet to even make it to mainstream store shelves. So I thought I'd give it a go!

3rd Rock markets its product as being not only sun care, by protecting from broad spectrum UVA and UVB rays, but also skin care, as it fights against free radicals and helps make skin stronger on a cellular level. The sun protection comes from zinc oxide. The skin care component comes from, in part, the inclusion of beta carotene (and other carotenoids) and Vitamins C and E, which bind with carotenoids to increase antioxidant protection, fighting free radicals and protecting skin cells.

3rd Rock also does not contain any endocrine disrupting chemicals, nor does the SPF break down with UV exposure (these are two common factors present in many popular sunscreens). The lotion is non-toxic, biodegradable and contains aromatherapeutic oils (mainly Frankincense) that assist in supporting and protecting skin cells.

I've been using it on myself and my daughters for about a week now and overall, it has really worked great as far as sun protection. It goes on like a lotion and soaks completely into skin after about 10 minutes. At first, it does have a bit of the chalky look that oxide sunscreens have, but it disappears when the lotion soaks in. It really stays on well during the day and I've found we can go much of the day without reapplying. It does need to be reapplied, though, after swimming.

The only thing I don't love about it is the fragrance, which is primarily from the Frankincense oil. I overlook this, though, since I know how awesome Frankincense oil is for skin (incredibly rejuvenating and protecting), but I think it would be great if they added a touch of Lavender, too :)

Overall, this is a keeper and will be added along with Lavera (which I like to use when my skin feels dry) to our sunblock rotation. You can purchase it on the 3rd Rock website, but I bought mine at Nourish MD, a holistic parenting website.

If you are looking for an all-natural, functional sunblock, I would recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment